This impressive, pseudo-Gothic church with it neoclassical façade sits aside the ruins of the medieval Dominican monastery.
In fact, it is built on the foundation of what was once the monastery's refectory. When St. Catherine's monastery was closed after Reformation in 1524, the refectory was given to the town school. The local Roman Catholic parish obtained the rooms in 1799 and built the church between 1841 and 44. The church's neoclassical façade and two low, stumpy towers (architects E. Jacoby and F. de Vries) were added in 1924.
Sts. Peter and Paul served as the only Roman Catholic parish in Tallinn until the Order of St. Birgitta was re-established in the 1990s.