Town Council Prison - Museum of Photography

Antique cameras, old photos and even a re-created early 20th-century darkroom can be viewed in the Town Council’s former prison.

Housed in a 15th-century building behind the Town Hall, Tallinn’s Museum of Photography traces the history of the art, which came to Tallinn a little more than 150 years ago. A large collection of photo equipment is on display, as are numerous prints and items related to the photo business of times past.

Entrance is free with Tallinn Card.

Open/ Available 1.03-31.10 Wed-Mon 10.30-18
1.11-28.02 Wed-Mon 10-17.30
Ticket 2.00 €
Child ticket 1.00 €
Family ticket 3.80 €
WiFi area
 

 
6

 
 
Town Council Prison - Museum of Photography
Location Old Town
Address Raekoja 4 Map
Phone +372 644 8767
E-mail foto@linnamuuseum.ee
Homepage www.linnamuuseum.ee/fotomuuseum
Events:
The history of Estonian photography from 1840-1940
01.01.2012 - 31.12.2016
The display gives a survey of the history of Estonian photography from 1840-1940. Estonian photographers were highly appreciated even abroad at the time. The display starts with very rare daguerreotypes, amrotypes and ferrotypes. Ch. Borchardt, B. Lais, the brothers Kristins and H. Tiidermann were masters of great renown at the end of the 19th century. Beginning from the early 20th century we can speak about photographic art already. J. and P. Parikas, N. Nyländer and Joh. Mülber exhibited their work at international contests and brought home several prizes.
In addition to the photo collections, the visitor can get an idea about the development of cameras and the equipment of a studio and darkroom at the beginning of the 20th century.
The display ends with the smallest of our cameras, the pocket-camera Minox that may seem as a toy but is a real camera. It was invented here in Estonia in 1936 but its production started in Riga in 1938.
Add to Favourites
Item was added.
 
PRINT