Great news for those itching to spend: Tallinn is a consumer-friendly city! Most shops in the Old Town and department stores throughout the city are open seven days a week, and major credit cards are widely accepted.
The best places to find quality fashion, shoes, perfume and the like are the elegant boutiques along Old Town’s Viru and Müürivahe streets, and the large, full-service department stores and malls that have recently been appearing all over Tallinn.
Even more intriguing for the adventurous shopper is the Katariina Passage. Here in medieval-style workshops run by the Katariina Guild’s artists, onlookers watch as glasswork, ceramics, leather goods, quilts and other items are created right before their eyes.
Favourite souvenirs from Estonia include:
• Handicraft items such as hand-knitted woollen sweaters with traditional Estonian folk patterns, carved wooden beer mugs, fun felt hats, juniper coasters and limestone candle holders.
• Original art such as graphic prints, handmade jewellery, colourful glassware or fine ceramics.
• CDs of Estonian composers of international acclaim (Tormis, Pärt, Tubin, Tüür).
• Soviet-era trinkets, sold in antique shops.
• Dark, bittersweet Estonian chocolate and other local sweets produced by the Kalev confectionery.
• Hand-painted marzipan.
Further information about shopping in Tallinn from here.
Outdoor markets in Tallinn can be fascinating places to shop. The Central Market is the city's largest food market, though you can also find cheap clothes and other trinkets here. The newly-remodelled Nõmme Market is its suburban equivalent. Closer to Old Town there's a somewhat upscale farmers' market operating in the Rotermann Square during warmer months, and the more chaotic Jaama Market next to the train station. Other outdoor markets in and around Old Town specialise in souvenirs and handicrafts, such as the knit market along the town wall on Müürivahe street.
The Tallinn Card, the city's all-in-one access card, not only gives you free entrance to Tallinn's museums and attractions, it also includes discounts or little gifts when used in many shops. The Tallinn Card is available in 24-, 48- and 72-hour versions as well as in a discounted, 6-hour version designed especially for cruise passengers. Click here to find out more about Tallinn Card deals.
ADD TO MY TALLINN
Item was added.